The Dementia Discovery Fund is looking for an ambitious and motivated Analyst / Associate with deep scientific experience and a strong entrepreneurial spirit to join the investment team in London. This role provides a unique opportunity to become part of a life sciences venture capital fund and has long-term potential for advancement within the Fund.
FUND: The Dementia Discovery Fund (www.ddf.vc)
The Dementia Discovery Fund (DDF) is a £250 million venture capital fund investing in early- stage companies discovering and developing novel, disease-modifying therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases causing dementia. DDF is managed by SV Health Investors (the employer), a leading healthcare and life sciences venture capital and growth equity firm with a 27-year track record with offices in Boston and London.
Since DDF’s initial closing in 2015, the Fund has built a portfolio of 18 investments in drug discovery and platform companies, predominantly located in the US and UK. Nine of these companies were created or built by DDF and SV. The DDF is enabled by its networks and influential group of investors including leading pharmaceutical companies.
The successful candidate will assist with the sourcing and evaluation of potential investment and company creation opportunities, the technical and commercial due diligence on investment targets, as well as deal execution and project management. The successful candidate will work closely with the senior investment team and support it on all aspects of both the investment process and portfolio management. They will also collaborate with DDF’s scientific advisors and engage with the broader scientific community to provide valuable input to DDF’s portfolio companies.
The successful candidate will be expected to be able to operate in an entrepreneurial environment and exhibit independence and leadership capabilities. The position requires strong communication skills and the successful candidate will frequently interact with our external stakeholders in the life sciences and venture capital industry, as well as the fund’s investors. The position will be based in London, will require the candidate to spend time in the office, and will require occasional travel.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (to be adjusted for experience)
- Review and evaluate investment opportunities.
- Lead scientific and commercial due diligence in partnership with the DDF investment team in both London and Boston as well as outside experts, including primary and secondary research.
- Prepare and maintain the internal investment documentation on potential investments and portfolio companies, including investment case presentations, financial analyses, and reporting.
- Be actively involved in company creation.
- Be actively involved in portfolio management.
- Establish and build relationships with key academics and executives, attend industry events.
- Create, update, and maintain proprietary firm databases.
- Keep the team current on major developments in the field, by gathering intelligence on industry pipelines, new research findings, new companies, and other relevant information.
- Perform other tasks as necessary to support the team.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced scientific degree (Ph.D.) required with a strong mechanistic understanding of disease.
- Prior experience in neuroscience and/or drug discovery and development a strong plus.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills required. Prior experience in venture capital, strategic consulting, equity research or business or corporate development in life sciences a strong plus.
- Must be an entrepreneurial individual with the ability to work independently in a dynamic, fast-moving environment. Must be able to pro-actively prioritize competing demands and deliver high-quality results.
- Exceptional written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal skills (including networking) required. Experience in written and oral communication to senior executive level audiences a plus.
- Must have strong integrity, judgement, work ethic, and be a team player.
Please submit your application (Cover Letter, CV) to Felicity Barker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nothing in this job posting should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.